Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tech Post #2

Apparently there is a program that you can download that allows you to use your webcam on your computer as a survelliance video. The program is called iSpy and it has the ability to record video, record audio, and provide online access to video. The recording can take place in a number of ways including: scheduling a time to record such as when you are gone to class or work or the program can record with motion detection. The video can also be directly uploaded to Youtube.

I can see this program being used by students in dorms or apartments that are worried about their roommates or people their roommates have over while they are gone. I personally wouldn't want anyone to mess with my computer without permission. However the motion dection has me confused about whether that means movement in the room or someone touching the computer. If it is in the room then I have a major issue with that; because it could potentionally mess with a roommates privacy. I also would not want the videos to be directly uploaded to Youtube, because accidents could happen and you might forget you are recording and when you come back start to change clothes and check your email at the same time. That would be horrible if uploaded to Youtube. Overall I think this servelliance program could come in handy if you are living somewhere where others have access to your computer.

I found this article at http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ispy-turns-computer-webcam-surveillance-equipment/

2 comments:

  1. Any time I'm on a computer with a webcam, even if the webcam is not turned on, I feel like I'm being watched and have the fear that somewhere someone is recording me.

    That being said, this idea kind of freaked me out. haha. I have the same concerns you do, about it messing with privacy (I don't want to spy on my roommate only to find out she's bringing guys in to do things I don't want to watch lol!), or me forgetting it's there and doing something extremely embarassing. I'm not sure why you would want to automatically upload to Youtube. That sounds like a bad idea to me, for pretty much any situation.

    But I still think it's pretty neat technology, and could be great if used right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda freaky what people can do these days. I just got a webcam for our class, and I have to say it's a little weird knowing my computer can see me... Seem like it's useful for security, but I know my apartment mates and trust them.

    I would use software with motion detection to have fun, like with these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8a0f/

    Very cool!

    ReplyDelete