I found this article from Techcrunch called 10 reasons to buy a tablet and 5 reasons not to. I though this was really interesting, because I have personally been trying to decide whether I need a tablet.
1. Tablets make great e-readers. I have to agree, my aunt has an iPod and I found it a very interesting way to read a book or magazine. However, I am personally a ink and paper girl. I love the feel of the paper in my hand and the way an book/newspaper smells when I first open it.
2. Tablets are portable productivity stations. I agree this is true too, but so are blackberries and laptops. Tablets give you the size of a laptop without the weight though, so could be more useful when traveling.
3. Tablets are better than older laptops. I am personally undecided on this point. The article stated if you don't have to type a lot than the tablet is better and can handle more content than a 2 year old laptop.
4. Tablets are great for meetings. It would allow you a "green" way to take notes, but I personally would be too distracted with the apps on my tablet to pay attention to the meeting.
5. Tablets are great for sharing photos and 1-on-1 presentations. The capability of photo sharing is a essential tool for me as I start taking more and more photos. Presentations could easily be shown 1-on-1, but more than that everyone would be too crowded to see the screen properly.
6. Tablets are great for movies and music. Being able to take a bigger screen to watch movies on in the car or the plane is tempting especially for long trips. As far as music, I have an iPod that does a great job, so no help necessary there.
7. Tablets are cheaper than a new laptop. They may be cheaper, but can they do everything that my laptop does for me.
8. Tablets don't crash. The article states that if it does crash a simple reset button will fix the problem. If this is true, then it would be great, because I hate the blue screen of death of my older laptop that is constantly having to get fixed.
9. Tablets are good for travel. This is definitly so true. see also #6.
10. Tablets are just cool. I think they are cool, but are they cool enough to buy over a laptop?
The five reasons not to buy a tablet mostly coinside with the questions I have posed throughout the post. Including as portable as a phone you already have, where are the multiplayer games, how much actual work can you do on a tablet such as photoshop, why get another device to browse the Internet, and the possiblity of something better coming along in a short period of time.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/12/10-reasons-to-buy-a-tablet-and-5-reasons-not-to/
get an ipad!!!
ReplyDeletedr.c